Understanding the Distribution Business
The distributor is a key link in the supply chain through which medical products travel from the end of the manufacturer’s assembly line to the end user. If you are a distributor sales representative, the services you personally provide, and those provided by your company, ensure that the value you give your customers extends far beyond the product delivered to them.
In this course, you’ll learn how the distributor adds value to the supply chain. We’ll examine the functions distributors perform and find out how they run the different parts of their businesses. Importantly, we will find out how distributors make money, and what factors have a major impact on profitability.
In addition, we’ll take a look at the major types of distributors, and we’ll delve into the manufacturer-distributor relationship. As a result of completing this course, you will be able to describe:
- Basic distribution functions
- The steps a distributor typically follows in processing an order
- The two sides of the distribution business
- How to calculate gross margin
- The distributor sales organization
- Types of competition for the healthcare distributor
- Manufacturer distribution strategies