Legal Issues in Healthcare Sales
Almost all customers are aware that the legal and regulatory controls over healthcare are significant. However, many do not fully understand the myriad laws, rules, and regulations that apply to them and the organizations that conduct business with them.
Sales professionals that market to healthcare providers should also be concerned about federal rules and regulations for three reasons:
- Your customers—healthcare providers—need all the help they can get when it comes to understanding and complying with healthcare laws and regulations.
- You can be held liable if you are instrumental in creating an arrangement that violates one of the many laws that govern the practice of medicine.
- A provider’s lack of understanding or awareness of these laws can seriously impact your sales and marketing efforts. Many providers are reluctant to alter or expand the way they conduct businesses unless they are confident the new arrangement will comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
All three reasons should encourage sales professionals to familiarize themselves with the federal laws that govern healthcare providers and their activities. By the end of this course, you will understand the basic concepts of the following laws:
- The Civil False Claims Act
- The Physician Sunshine Act Law
- The Federal Anti-Kickback Statute
- The Stark Self-Referral Prohibitions